Just finished a 45 min run down to the beginnings of Wikiki. I haven't actually made it down to the beach due to time. However, tonight we're taking a susnset cruise in Wikiki and seeing all the tourist stuff there.
Yesterday was awesome. We went to the Pacific Aviation Museum then went to the area of the USS Arizona Memorial. We ate lunch at the museum for the USS Bowfin... chopsticks and rice are not a good combo for me:)
After lunch, it was on to the Missouri, 'The Mighty Mo' which has seen service in WWII, Korea, Vietnam, and Desert Storm. It sits bow to bow with the USS Arizona. We saw the signing deck where the unconditional surrender was signed. I believe my Great-uncle Dutch was on board the Mo when the surrender was signed. I'll have to check on that!
Afterwards, we went to the USS Arizona Visitors Center. We viewed a film that payed tribute to those lives lost on Dec. 7, 1941. Prior to the film, one of the Japanese teachers said that they felt somewhat uncomfortable there. However, after the short film, they commented that the film did a good job at honoring the dead without recriminations and that they were honored to be there.
The Navy shuttled us by boat around Ford Island where we viewed the remains of the USS Utah and the monument to the USS Nevada. The Utah was sunk during the attack with 50 souls on board. It is Navy policy that all boats must offer honor to those dead by saluting the remains. I have a picture of Ranger Daniel Martinez saluting from our boat.
The USS Arizona was an awe-inspiring memorial. It is sunken in the middle (right over the Arizona's structure) to symbolize the initial defeat suffered and the lives lost at Pearl Harbor, but then rises on each end to symbolize the ultimate victory. The Tree of Life windows in the Hall of Names lets light in to shine on those who gave the ultimate sacrifice in the service of our country.
After leaving the USS Arizona and Battleship Row, we then walked throught the USS Bowfin submarine. Definitely not a good place to be wearing a mini-skirt! Climbing through the passages proved interesting to say the least! Check out the photo of the pullout bunk stored between torpedos!
Now it's time for a shower and then get ready for a day of 'classroom' stuff at the Imin Center.
Looks like you're having a great time Stacie. I think I could definitely be a little more motivated to run on the beaches of Hawaii than I am at home! I'm enjoying visiting Hawaii "virtually" through your blog. :) Have fun!
ReplyDeleteKim